Attractional v. missional –not about getting people into heaven, but about getting heaven into people
- If it isn’t good news for the poor, it isn’t good news.
- I believe in the new birth (I’ve been born again), but being reborn is mentioned 4 times, justice for the poor around 2800.
- Do we send pastors to where people live, or to buildings (we own)?
- Great missional movements always begin at the fringes of culture – especially among the marginalized.
- Wesley reached poor farmers from rural areas.
Multiplication rather than expansion.
- Urbanization brings transportation issues.
- Dayton & Darfur – God does God’s best work in cemeteries.
- You don’t try to make deals with demons, you exorcise demons.
- Build relationships with local elementary school.
- It’s not that they don’t have mission in their hearts, it’s that we haven’t shown them what mission looks like.
Disciples v. Decisions.
- We don’t use “volunteer” – it is the language of the club – serve at convenience of schedule
- Servant is the language of the gospel. – serves at the discretion & schedule of the Holy Spirit
- Jesus says: “Come try this, and I’ll resource you while you do it.”
- Communitas – a group of people who come together for a purpose greater than themselves.
Courage v. Compliance
- Post 9/11 – culture of fear.
- Survey last year: 60% of US Christians approve of torture, 40% non-Christians.
- Whatever you spend on yourself this Christmas, give. Christmas isn’t your birthday!
- I don’t know “what if,” but I know “what if we do nothing.”
- Transformed from a soft-secular worldview v. sacrificial service worldview of Jesus.
- At the heart of every decision e make about the future and purpose of the church is the choice between courage and compliance.